Care Leavers and Estranged Students Support

We're committed to providing all Care Leavers and estranged students with the support they need to enjoy a successful university experience. We offer information, guidance and support, including help at the pre-application stage, a named contact, financial assistance, support after graduation, as well as year-round accommodation.


Our Care Leavers/Estranged Students support framework extends to our Halls of Residence. A room is guaranteed for all new, full-time and first year students who apply and accept a room offer by the given deadline each year, with year-round tenancies available. Find out more on our Accommodation page here.

You could also be eligible to apply for our Care Leavers/Estranged Students Accommodation Award, which provides five students with access to a fully-funded room in our Halls of Residence for the academic year 2021/22.

Guidance is also available to students when searching for long-term accommodation within the private sector, with the support of our private sector Housing Team. Please contact for more information.

Care Leaver/Foyer Award

This non-means tested award of £1,500 per year is intended to help students from a care background with their course and living costs during their studies, whether it’s undergraduate or postgraduate. For more information about this award, including eligibility criteria and how to apply, visit the Care Leaver/Foyer/Estranged Student Award page of our website, or contact our Financial Guidance team by emailing or calling 01604 893299.

If you identify yourself to us as someone that’s experienced care at all stages of university, accommodation and student finance applications, there’s no limit to the amount of support you can access when you start your degree.

It’s important to remember that identifying yourself to us as a care leaver is totally confidential - it won’t affect your application, or make any other difference to your time studying with us. We just want to ensure you receive the best possible university experience.

Visit the Care Leavers and Estranged Students Support pages of our website for more information.

You can also contact our designated member of support staff for care leavers, Nicky West:

Email or call 01604 892833.